ACL & Meniscus Tears

Hello Doctor, I am from Hyderabad and came to know from MRI report that there are tears in my left knee at medial,lateral meniscus and ACL. Here, is the impression comments given in my MRI report:- 1. Oblique tear in posterior horn of medial Meniscus 2. Grade II horizontal tear in posterior horn of lateral meniscus 3. ACL appears bulky with intrasubstance hyperintensities, full thickness mid substance tear, retraction of torn ends and mild laxity of PCL. I approached 2 orthopedic doctors, the first doctor suggested to undergo arthroscopy surgery for ACL and both Meniscus repairs. But, second doctor said that surgery is required for Meniscus (either suture or clean of tear part) as my lifestyle is related to IT software activities and normal life style. Can these meniscus tears will heal themselves/physio exercises with out Arthroscopy surgery for Tear removal/suture? Please let me know best solution/treatment for my knee problem.

Doctor Answers (2) on ACL & Meniscus Tears

Dr. Vishwas Virmani Noida | Physiotherapist
Avoid sitting Cross legged. Avoid Squatting- Quadriceps Exercises- Lie straight, make a towel role and put it under the knee, press the keen against the role, hold it for 20 secs. Repeat 20 times twice a day. This will help relieve some pain. Core Strengthening Exercise- Straight Leg Raised With Toes Turned Outward, repeat 10 times, twice a day. Sports Taping- stretch the tape from both ends and apply on the affected area Contrast Fomentation (Hot and Cold).
Dr. Reuban Daniel C Bangalore | Physiotherapist
Hello, First of all let me put it clearly that there is a clear damage of the structures that gives a great stability for your knee. I being a physiotherapist Would like to give in the following comment.You should understand that a n orthopedic surgeon gives his opinion to ensure the best for his patient. Its true that these sort of tear and injuries if not treated / rehabilitated properly keeps giving you trouble and leads to various troubles that includes pain,septic infection within the joint. Normally when there is an injury on our superficial structures it heals easily as it gets exposed to natural healing.Internal injuries like this needs ample healing agents to enhance the healing faster. Unfortunately as humans we dont facilitate that due to the pain factor and that place deprives of blood and in turn the pain causing substances keep accumulating in and around that place which causes more pain. To move forward you should undergo invasive approach .Both the doctors have given their opinion with different approaches. To answer your question if it heals by itself ......it might not as the healing would be slow and interrupted The beat way to get better and get rid of the current situation is a better surgical intervention alongside with a good rehabilitation that would see you through. Dont hesitate for the surgical procedures as it would really help you as the degree of injury is a bit severe. As physiotherapist we would prepare you with pre op ex's and help you over come the expected happenings post op complications like pain,stiffness and immobility .We will help you to achieve a better quality of life post medical/surgical intervention Cheers Reuban
go ahead with the surgeon s opinion
be aware that you will have a phase of pain and frustration