Normal sadness or depression
Of late I have started sleeping a lot. Even after 7-8 hours of sleep, 1-1.30 hours of exercise everyday and proper food, I just can't stop myself from falling asleep. I am snapping at others for no reason. Getting angry at trivial matters. And only time I am laughing is when  watching  some comedy show. My friends say that I am depressed. How do I know if it's depression and not just an episode of sadness?

It’s necessary to evaluate your issue through counselling. We need to talk in order to understand your problem better . What is making you sleepless , there should be a hidden reason behind it. Do get in touch with me through Practo for counselling. Happy to help !
Hello Friend, Good that you are seeking a help here. As body and mind are interlinked, any such emotional disturbance can affect the normal body functioning by causing excess sleep, lack of appetite, sudden weight gain or loss, digestion issues, body pain and many more. All depends on the degree of emotional stress. Just observe and analyze what's happening around you life in the recent times ; any job related stress or personal issues, lifestyle changes etc. Any of these could be triggering such stress. Better to take a professional help and assess all your symptoms and conditions to isolate the reason behind such emotional imbalance and behaviors. It's just like any other physical illness and there are simple solutions to overcome if it's a problem. Be positive. You will be alright soon. Feel free to reach me online for further evaluation and recommendation.
I believe you should discuss your concerns in detail with a mental health professional to gain an insight about nature of problem and ways to overcome it through psychotheraputic techniques Consult with me or any psychologist for therapy and counseling Connect with me through practo All the best Seek help for early recovery
Depression is an abnormal emotional state, a mental illness that affects our thinking, emotions, perceptions, and behaviors in pervasive and chronic ways. When we’re depressed we feel sad about everything. Depression does not necessarily require a difficult event or situation, a loss, or a change of circumstance as a trigger. In fact, it often occurs in the absence of any such triggers. People’s lives on paper might be totally fine—they would even admit this is true—and yet they still feel horrible. Sadness is a normal human emotion. We’ve all experienced it and we all will again. Sadness is usually triggered by a difficult, hurtful, challenging, or disappointing event, experience, or situation. In other words, we tend to feel sad aboutsomething. This also means that when that something changes, when our emotional hurt fades, when we’ve adjusted or gotten over the loss or disappointment, our sadness remits. If you think you are depressed, it is important to seek the counsel of a trained mental health professional for diagnosis and treatment. Depression is an extremely common mental illness and there are many treatments that benefit most people. To be diagnosed with depression, people need to have symptoms, for a continual duration of at least two weeks. The severity of these symptoms must also be considered, so please consult a mental health professional for a conclusive diagnosis. You can consult me online.