Loss of hearing

I am suffering loss of hearing for last many hears. I am not able to hear sounds that are low in intensity. Sometimes I can hear that a word is said but not able to recognize it. Can this be due to side effects of TB medication which I had 20 years ago. If yes, Is this curable?

Doctor Answers (1) on Loss of hearing

Dr. Vinay S Bhat Bangalore | ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist
Ototoxicity or drug induced injury to ear is a well known complication of anti TB drug streptomycin which was commonly used in the past. If your hearing loss started soon after you finished anti tb treatment then surely its secondary to drug streptomycin. If your hearing loss started many years after treatment then its not due to drug and you need to be evaluated for cause and type of hearing loss. Consult nearby ENT specialist for ear examination and audiological evaluation and depending on results of audiological evaluation treatment options will be discussed