Lichen planus pigmentosus

I had hyper pigmentation on face,neck, underarms, hands for over a year which is increasing. Consulted many doctors n took a biopsy which states LPP. I've used tacrolimus ointment on face for two months. Doctor has suggested me to go for UV photo therapy or steroids. I'm confused as to which treatment I should approach

Dr. Manoj Agarwala

Thanks for the query. The clinical description fits well into the domain of lichen planus pigmentosus and if confirmed a biopsy is more reassuring. The difficult part in the disease of LPP is not the diagnosis but the management which has long term involvement. Treatment requires commitment on part of the patient and the treating Dermatologist. A comprehensive management has an ability to clear of the skin disease very effectively.
Meet a dermatologist experienced in treatment of LPP as at your age the cosmetic concern may be more relevant. Having said that LPP has more to it and you need to be treated as a person and not skin wise.