Is this serious?

Started suffering from sleep problems 5 months ago. Then a month ago, started having racing thought-voices when trying to sleep. Essentially gibberish. Got scared about schizophrenia and started googling. This led to more stress and symptoms. Panic attacks. Then I thought that I was having intrusive thoughts. Havent heard any voices or seen anything. But do have intrusive thought-voices that are critical. Could this be a result of overthinking about schizophrenia? Scariest symptom is feeling detached from myself and surroundings- as if I am just going through the motions and have no control over my actions. Googling about schizophrenia was done before all these symptoms, and this caused me a lot of stress, anxiety and tension. I repeat- I dont hear any voices or see things. However, I do think I have internal thought-like voices. I am rational enough to know that this is a misfiring of my brain. There are no delusions as such. There is just fear about schzophrenia.
views-icons 93 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (4) on Is this serious?

Dr. Trupti Vedpathak Pune | Psychiatrist
The 'racing thought voices while trying to sleep' could be hypnogogic hallucinations which can even occur in normal people rarely. Sometimes there are pseudohallucinations where the patient is aware that the voices may not be real & may be coming from his own head. These are different from schizophrenia hallucinations. You seem to be quite anxious about the same. It would be better to visit a psychiatrist or psychologist to allay your fears.
Dr. Vikas Khanna Delhi | Hypnotherapist
Please do no invite a problem , which is non-existent.You are better advised to not do the intensive course study on psychological problems, you are not preparing for a degree. You may find it interesting in one statistical survey conducted by an american university, It was found that there were a very significant amount of psychologists/psychiatrists (much more than the general population percentage), Who suffered from psychological issues ranging from depression to suicidal tendency. So knowledge is not helping but doing the opposite. Just live your life, Why do you need to know if you have disease all the time anyways ??? Schizophrenia has most significant genetic etiology .So even if you have to have schi.... , then there is nothing you can do. Stop imagining a negative future and START LIVING!!
Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
After going through your description I feel you do not suffer schizophrenia. But do need to consult a counsellor and find the reason for your status.
Dr. Amit Jagtiani Agra | Psychiatrist
You don't seemto have any real hallucinations. It appears more of intrusive ruminations. Such Ruminating thoughts are common in OCD, and depression. Ifsuch thoughts are troubling you and interfering with dailt activities consult a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist.