Hearing problem

Hi, my son is complaining about hard of hearing since we came back from Shimla last month. we consult ENT. The doctors say that there is a jelly kind of deposite at the joint of nose and ear and it is blocking the eardrum. 12 days back his hearing capacity was detected as 50%. Doctor prescribed him antibiotics (augmentin 350mg) alongwith nasel drops and steam thrice a day. after a weeks regime, he reported that his right ear is open. but left ear still has blockage. Doctor asked for another week of steam and said that if the blockage doesnt open, it shall have to be operated. I want to know that is it really high time to undergo the surgery or we can try with medicines and steam regime.

Doctor Answers (1) on Hearing problem

Dr. Pinaki Mazumder Kolkata | Otologist/ Neurotologist
You child is having otitis media with effusion or OME. It should be treated conservatively for 3 months. If it does not clear up after 3 months PTA, Tympanometry should be repeated. If hearing loss persists and there is fluid in the middle ear then myringotomy and grommet insertion operation should be done.