Grade 2, L5-S1 Slip Disc

I would request a help from you that I had been for MRI scanning and it showed up L5-S1 disc bulge before 4 months and wen i contacted an orthopaedician, he told you may have to go for surgery in later days to cure completely but to avoid surgery in this age now undergo for physiotherapy for 10 days to get relieve from leg pain and numbness. After 10 days of physiotherapy pain was completely reduced. Then he told to maintain like this only by doing exercises and wearing a LS belt while you are on work. But now my legs are paining lightly from a week. As my doctor said i should not bend or lift weights which is difficult to maintain while working because I am a mechanical engineer, lots of physical work will be there in company. So, I thought to have a permanent solution to get rid of this problem. Is there any treatment to cure it 100% other than surgery. And if I undergo surgery, will it affect my sexual life or any other problems. Please guide me in this regard. Thank You.

Doctor Answers (5) on Grade 2, L5-S1 Slip Disc

Dr. P.S.Balaji Chennai | Orthopedic Surgeon
U will definitely need surgery. Grade 2 means u are half way in the problem. U will put ur self at risk if you don't get treated. Don't waste time.
Saurabh Bhalla Delhi | Occupational Therapist
Thanks for the detailed information regarding your case. Looking at the MRI and the previous treatment history. You got a near to perfect treatment . And why I say so is that the root cause of your injury has not been touched upon yet. Yes, that is HOW AND WHAT NOT TO DO AT WORK. Strengthening your back musculature will definitely help you to live well but unless and until you stop injuring your back again and again that is next to nothing. it is like you are mopping the floor when it's still raining. 1. CONTINUE WITH THE BACK STRENGTHENING EXERCISES (there are several including varied bridging, lifting up from a plinth while lying on your stomach and upper half of body hanging off the plinth) 2. TAKE SUPPORT WHEREVER IT IS AVAILABLE (lean on wall and machines), 3. Visit or ask and Occupational Therapist to guide you about the various sex positions that can prevent further damage. Some of the Sexual positions actually may cause further damage and also guide you according to your work profile to minimize the stress and plan in detail WHAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO / HOW TO DO Various tasks.
Visit / Consult (tele rehabilitation) an Occupational Therapist / (or) certified workplace ergonomist /(or) consult your company's health and safety officer. (In order of priority) and learn few techniques which will minimize your injury and help you heal faster. A strict no to surgery as that is very critical (to undergo surgery when no alternative is available i.e. the damage is extensive and beyond managing) as no surgery comes with guarantee. If it is successful no issues in any working but if anything goes wrong you would be left paraplegic which also will afect your sexual functions
DO NOT HAVE INTERCOURSE till you know proper positions which are safe. DO NOT LIFT HEAVY OBJECTS FROM ANYWHERE. (hold the object closest to your body (midway between chest and Abdomen). DO NOT UNDERGO ANY MASSAGE (except from a certified manual therapist / cryotherapist) AS IT MAY WORSEN CONDITION IF NOT DONE PROPERLY. DO NOT LIFT ANY OBJECT FROM THE GROUND.( squatting will help. as >> squat (with straight back) and then pick up the object). Visit/ consult Occupational Therapist as soon as possible. STAY HEALTHY
Dr. Vishwas Virmani Noida | Physiotherapist
Apply Hot Fomentation twice daily. Avoid bending in front. Postural Correction- Sit Tall, Walk Tall. Extension Exercises x 15 times x twice daily - lying on tummy, take left arm up for 3 seconds, then bring it down, right arm up for 3 seconds, bring down. Bring right leg up, hold for 3 seconds, bring it down. Then right leg up and hold for 3 seconds and bring it down. Repeat twice a day- 10 times. Bhujang Asana -- Lie flat on your stomach, keeping the palms out, bend the neck backward, take a deep breath and while holding it for 6 seconds, raise the chest up. Release breath and relax your body. Repeat the exercise 15 times twice daily. Core Strengthening Exercises- Straight Leg Raised With Toes Turned Outward, repeat 10 times, twice a day.
Dr. Raghav Sunil Hyderabad | Spine Surgeon
Please get Flexion and Extension x rays in Lateral View.If it shows instability we will need to fuse the affected level.Other wise the back pain will keep comming.
Send the images of flexion and Extension X rays in Lateral view .
Surgery if done properly gives u good relief and if instability is present it may be the only answer.
No one can give 100% guarantee for any treatment in Humans but I can assure you that it will give good relief in more than 97 % patients with this kind of problem.

Regards

Dr. Krishi Kumar Vadla Hyderabad | Neuro Physiotherapist
You need to do few specific back strengthening exercises to a avoid recurrence of pain,and don't worry about your sexual life it won't effect in this condition.