Eat sweets in excess

I m so worried about my husband because of his eating habits of sweet after a meal every time in lunch and dinner I m worry about that he will become diabetic soon because of this sweet habit Please tell me about this that after a meal taking sweet can be increase a sugar level in blood or not? And i heard that after a meal when u eat sweet it is very good for health but i m confused about this information it is true or not Please make me clear about this its beneficial, harmful what kind of effect to the body of my husband, it's better or not ??

Doctor Answers (2) on Eat sweets in excess

Dr. Swapan Banerjee Kolkata | Dietitian/Nutritionist
Hi welcome - Eating sugar never be the reason for Diabetes but some how insulin resistance may happen ,although this is not linked so far with type 1 diabetes.. Consumptions of very & all time outside junk including sugary ,spicy,salty may prone to diabetes. It may cause more complications like cavities, tooth decay, Here is studies for you : - "One study that followed 51,603 women between 1991 and 1999 found an increased risk of diabetes among those who consumed more sugar-sweetened beverages - that's soda, sweetened ice tea, energy drinks, etc. And a massive review of previous research involving 310,819 participants supported this result, concluding that drinking lots of soda was associated not just with weight gain but with the development of type 2 diabetes." but this is not exactly sweets what your husband like the most. But here is not end. I can tell you to be aware of more dangers like Obesity,pncreatitis,High Blood pressure, liver disease etc..more. But daily one sweet you can enjoy if not fatty he is ..!!
Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. I can understand your concern. What you know about diabetes is wrong and its just a misconception. Eating sweets or anything which is sweet doesn't cause a person to become diabetic. Get that mis conception out of your brain. There are certain risk factors which make a person more prone to diabetes. There are many articles online about the risk factors for diabetes, you can read them. Certain risk factors are: 1. Having a family history of diabetes. 2. Being overweight. 3. Having a sedentary lifestlye. 4. Smoking and alcohol intake. 5. Having too much junk food all the time. Etc. There are many. Ask him to get to a weight that is perfect according to his height. He must avoid all the avoidable risk factors. Best regards. Dr. Anil kumar jain.