Eardrum perforation

I had a traumatic eardrum perforation around a month before. Since then I am waiting for it to heal on its on.. But It had not till now.. So I just wanted to know for how long should I wait before thinking about surgery? And what are the surgical options that are available?

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 20 yrs exp Bangalore

There is a nonsurgical option available but done by very few ENT Specialists(robs them of the money they can earn from a ear surgery) where the margins of the perforation are cauterised with either Silver Nitrate or Glacial Acetic Acid. This is done in the clinic setting and I charge ₹8,000 for a sitting. This encourages the edges to grow and seal the perforation normally. Small perforations seal up in one sitting but if a small portion remains after a week, a second session is done which completely seals it. However if it does not respond to the cauterisation, Cortical Myringoplasty is the only option available wherein a graft tissue is used to seal the perforation. Ultimately over about 1 year the body uses this tissue as a scaffold to migrate epithelium from the remnants of perforation and the grafted tissue is gradually resorbed by the body.
Dr. Anup Sabherwal
ENT/ Otolaryngologist 15 yrs exp Delhi

You may need surgery for ear drum. Please come over for an evaluation and audiometry