Eardrum surgery

Is eardrum surgery risky? What is the success rate of eardrum surgery? How many days it take to recover fully?

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 20 yrs exp Bangalore

Not at all. Success rate is close to 100% in otherwise healthy individuals. The only problem is when the surgery is ill timed when it invariably fails. This happens when inexperienced or improperly trained ENT Surgeons fail to identify the cause of the discharging ear and fail to treat it. I NEVER do this surgery unless the middle ear has been dry for at least 6 months! Just make sure this is done after the surgeon is sure the middle ear is dry and a pre-op audiometry confirms good cochlear reserve.
use this app to search for a good ENT Specialist in your neighbourhood and fix up an instant appointment
I make it a point to always get a CT scan of the paranasal sinuses in coronal view and also include the entire mastoids in the field so that I visualise the entire nose, throat and ears radiologically as this guides me to plan my line of treatment.
Dr. Mohit Lavania
Otologist/ Neurotologist 12 yrs exp Mumbai

No , ear surgery is not risky unless there are some complications.
surgery is not risky with rare complications
It takes about a couple of months to heal