Depression

I sleep a lot, sleep is my way of escaping the world. When I sleep I make no effort, my mind carries me wherever I want to go. I don’t have to pick up a textbook. I don’t have to talk to my friend. I don’t have to eat. When I wake it feels like I’ve been treading water for an eternity, I ache and my eyes are heavy. I escape from my lectures in the university. I close the windows of room and just sit in the dark void of all the thoughts. I am one who is always career oriented and also have a good social circle. I also have some friends to whom I can open up everything that is related to me. But I do not know what I bothering me. I used to love acquiring new knowledge, study, take up my exams and get good grades. But now I find everything far away from me. all I do is sleep to escape.

Doctor Answers (2) on Depression

Dr. Naresh Vadlamani Hyderabad | Addiction Psychiatrist
You are 22 and in university could mean you are pursuing post graduation. Staying in hostel could mean you are not a local of Hyderabad. Your parents or family live elsewhere. You are talking to a friend could mean no relationship difficulties. Yes there would have been some unpleasant event triggering this gamut of whole depressive symptoms. Either death or illness of a close one, financial stressors, academic performance expectations or even anticipatory marital arrangements by family against your wishes etc could be the reason. Kindly explore. Talk to close people openly and frankly. Open up enlist their support. If still unresolved you can consult a clinical psychotherapist or a clinical psychologist trained in psychotherapies for some sessions of counseling.
If you are not able to understand what is happening to you and you are withdrawing from everyone then may be it is depression which occurs like disease sometimes without reason called endogenous depression