Dental and RCT

My one tooth was broken approximately half about 2 months ago due to trauma.After one week its stop paining.Now dentist advices to do root canal treatment before putting cap on it. In X-ray it also not showing much defect in root. Dentist says its minor.now I'm having no pain nor any problem in tooth.Is RCT is required

Doctor Answers (2) on Dental and RCT

Its good that u shared ur picture,by looking at this pic it seems that root canal procedure is required, wether u r having pain or not..as its the case of trauma the pulpal damage has already been done ..if u go for crown without the rct procedure it may fail in future and then again u wil be requiring RCT plus if the time lapse is years a tooth adjacent to the fractured might also get infected because of root infection of the fractured tooth..best of luck ..visit ur local dentist for the best advise
Dr. Ritesh Kumar Kanpur Nagar | Oral And MaxilloFacial Surgeon
As per your question, root canal infection which may be due to any cause (trauma, pulp pathology etc ) would lead to degeneration of the nerve ending in the pulp. Thats why you didn't feel any pain now. But root canal treatment is meant to clean off everybit of infection left in the root canal which could have been walled off right now by your immune system. If someone does capping without doing RCT then this residual infection may aggravate any time and would lead to tooth destruction, fixed prosthesis failure and in many cases retrograde infection of the canine space or palatal side and may result into sinus opening intraorally or extraorally.