cancer-icon

Cervical cancer

My mother has cervical cancer stage IIB. Please suggest the possible treatment. is it possible surgery after radiation or chemo therapy. Please suggest.

Doctor Answers (3) on Cervical cancer

Dr. Sandeep Nayak Bangalore | Surgical Oncologist
For this stage of cervical cancer the current standard of care is chemotherapy with radiation. In many patients this could cure the condition.
Surgery to remove ureters is considered only if the disease persists or recurs. We should hope that this does not happen.

There is one surgical option that is used by some centres in the world and I selectively opt for it, and that is to perform the surgical removal of lymph nodes by laparoscopy. This reduces the dose of radiotherapy, as they don't need to radiate the negative nodes. Side effects will be less.

Dr. Shubham Jain Delhi | Surgical Oncologist
Radiation therapy is the right way to go for now. Surgical modalities are employed later in such stage cancers if there is a residual or recurrent cancer.
Dr. Shitalkumar Surana Pune | Radiation Oncologist
Cervical cancer stage IIB is treated with Curative intent Radiation and low dose concurrent Chemotherapy. Radiation Therapy includes part treatment with External Beam Radiation and part treatment with Internal radiation treatment also know as Brachytherapy. There is no need of Surgery after chemo Radiation. Surgery or Radiation are equally curative for this disease.