Can't get sound sleep

I can't sleep for longer hours. I wake up every night at least 3-4 times n then can't sleep easily. Should I take sleeping pills?

Doctor Answers (2) on Can't get sound sleep

Priyadarshi Srivastava Lucknow | Neuropsychiatrist
It depends what is the duration of your problem. Do you have any anxiety, any stress, any worry that is the reason for this? If yes you should see a doctor. If no. Then you have to follow sleep hygiene techniques, widely available on Internet
Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Please avoid sleeping pills try to fallow bellow advices and Consult psychiatrist for further examination and help...Exercise and stay active. Activity helps promote a good night's sleep. Get at least 20 to 30 minutes of vigorous exercise daily at least five to six hours before bedtime. Avoid or limit caffeine and alcohol and don't use nicotine. All of these can make it harder to sleep. Avoid caffeine after lunchtime. Avoiding alcohol can help prevent restless sleep and frequent awakenings. Stick to a sleep schedule. Keep your bedtime and wake time consistent from day to day, including on weekends. Avoid large meals and beverages before bed. A light snack is fine. But avoid eating too much late in the evening to reduce the chance of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and improve sleep. Drink less before bedtime so that you won't have to urinate as often