Azithromycin side effect
I am undergoing treatment for Acne. Doctor prescribed me to take Azithromycin 500mg thrice a week for 4 weeks(1 hour before food). But the day I am taking it, I am getting loose motions up to 4 times a day and my body gets completely drained out. Is it a normal thing? Should I continue taking it or should I stop it right away?

Dr. Manoj Agarwala

Thanks for the query. Azithromycin is known to cause diarrhoea and the mechanism is different from usual antibiotics. Most of the antibiotics cause diarrhoea by flushing the normal flora of the gut but Azithromycin acts directly on motilin receptors. So supplementation with lactobacillus will also not help. You can discontinue it and discuss with your Dermatologist.

Azithromycin and paracetamol