What is happening to me?

When I was abroad, I began to have racing thoughts while sleeping, and being a hypochondriac, assumed that I was having psychosis. I became scared and obsessively googled symptoms. Subsequently, I felt really detached from my surroundings and from people- almost as if they are not real. As a result, objects and sounds startle me and seem strange. As do the people around me. Despite this, I am able to maintain a conversation with people, but I feel uncomfortable all the time. Contrary to becoming withdrawn, I seek out people to meet. But I feel increasingly detached from eveyone and everything. Things like a bottle phone etc feel strange to me (even though I know what the reality is) and as do sounds. I have no voices or hallucinations. A psychiatrist saw me and prescribed antipsychotics, saying I have mild psychosis, and I should take these to prevent from getting psychosis. What do I have? Could it only be anxiety? Does mild psychosis require medication? I dont want to take medication

Doctor Answers (3) on What is happening to me?

Dr. Antara Gupta Aligarh | Psychiatrist
You are having depersonalisation derealisation syndrome.  Please dont take antipsychotics.  Talk to your psychiatrist about its treatment.
Dr. Vikas Khanna Delhi | Hypnotherapist
Hi, If you do not give a hoot to this feeling of strangeness, it will either go by itself or not affect you. You will be surprised to know that what you are perceiving right now is the GOAL of most of the spiritual practices!!!! A zen monk would feel ecstatic with this disassociation!! The memory is not creating an image of the object/person and thus not clouding the perception. Let me tell you that if you struggle to change this you will create an endless conflict . You can get a detailed counseling session to sort this out once & for all
may take a counseling session
Do not struggle to correct it!!
Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi.... Take steps to control stress, to increase your resilience and boost your self-esteem. Reach out to family and friends, especially in times of crisis, to help you weather rough spells. Get treatment at the earliest sign of a problem to help prevent psychosis from worsening. Consider getting long-term maintenance treatment to help prevent a relapse of symptoms.