Uterine Fibroids

My mother, fourty nine years old, is recently diagnosed with multiple uterine fibroids, bulky uterus with distorted shape... What are the possible consequences and treatment options. Please let me know if surgery is recommended and risk factors?

Doctor Answers (1) on Uterine Fibroids

Thank you for your question.
If your mother is suffering with symptoms interfering with her quality of life such as heavy bleeding causing anaemia, pressure symptoms on the bladder or bowel, constant or intermittent pain then surgical removal of the uterus is advisable. This can be done abdominally through an incision or vaginally with assistance of a laparoscope. The second option will require a surgeon skilled in endoscopy and vaginal surgery but tends to give much faster recovery postoperatively. It can take longer to do depending on how big the uterus is and how difficult it is technically to remove it.
If your mother is asymptomatic and the cavity is regular then it can be left alone. The fibroids will regress after menopause anyway.
Best wishes