Urticaria test

I am taking levocetrizine 5 mg for past 4 months now for urticaria. I had wheals and itching in the morning time because and it was diagnosed by doctor as urticaria. My doctor is saying that test like patch and skin prick are not useful in this. Are there any long term issues taking this medication. Are these test useful. I feel very drowsy because of this medicine. Please advise.

Doctor Answers (1) on Urticaria test

Your doctor is absolutely correct.This is the consensus opinion of most dermatologist worldwide, that no blood tests prick tests or allergy tests are helpful in diagnosis of urticaria.
If your disease is exacerbated by any particular food or medicines specifically avoid those.
You need to take medication(anti histaminics) on a daily basis for a long period of time may be 1 year or even more .If levo cetirizine is causing drowsiness discuss with your dermatologist and switch to another alternate drug.