Trichophagia

I am suffering from Trichophagia from past 3-4 years. What r the consequences and what should I do to stop it ? most of the consequences are operations but what should I do to remove what is already in there ?

Dr. Lakshmi T Rajan
Counselling Psychologist 13 yrs exp Chennai

Dear friend, This condition can be categorized as a form of addiction and psychotherapy can get you better. Get help from a psychotherapist who uses therapies in addition to counseling. Visit www.mastermindfoundation.com Wishes
Dr. Trupti Vedpathak
Addiction Psychiatrist 9 yrs exp Pune

Trichophagia is the eating of hair associated with compulsive hair pulling ( Trichotillomania). Hairs inside the stomach will need to be removed by the surgeon. But for long term benefit, the underlying illness needs to be treated. Trichotillomania is the recurrent pulling out of one’s hair that results in noticeable hair loss. This is usually associated with an increasing sense of tension before pulling out the hair and pleasure, gratification, or relief when pulling out the hair. Treatment consists of medication and cognitive behavioral therapy (psychotherapy), often in combination. With behavior therapy, patients learn to identify when their hair pulling occurs (it is often automatic) and to substitute a harmless behavior such as squeezing a ball. Some patients benefit from learning to apply barriers to prevent hair pulling, such as wearing gloves or a hat.
You need to visit a psychiatrist who will prescribe medication & advice counselling.