Swelling when walking

I met with an accident one week back and got hurt in left leg thumb, knee and left hand. From last 3-4 days, the moment I walk my leg starts swelling specially near the ankles. Doctor has advised me to put pillow beneath my foot while sleeping. It's actually very helpful and by morning there is no swelling. But the moment i walk, it starts again. What to do?

Dr. Vishwas Virmani (PT)
Physiotherapist 20 yrs exp Noida

gentle stretching of great toe,ice pack,rest for few days and avoid pointed shoes.
Dr. Vandana Chauhan (PT)
Physiotherapist 10 yrs exp Noida

if you are not feeling any instability or pain in your ankle or knee,its good to elevated your legs and avoid hanging and do some anle movements(back and forth along with some rotations clockwise and anticlockwise in every 2-3 hours ) , dont go for walk for a few days,its good to do cycling, and use crepe bandage while walking and wear shoes is better than any other footwear.

Hello there.  I can understand your concern.  Did you have any injury in the bone? I would suggest you get it looked at by a orthopedician in person for further evaluation and management.  Get adequate rest. Do not more around much because you may injure it even more. Best regards.  Dr. Anil kumar jain.  Bangalore
Dr. Deepak Tamrakar (PT)
Sports and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist 9 yrs exp Durg
Take a x ray of left leg thumb to shaure of fracture.do ice  and use crap bandage. This helps you to reduce swelling.
Dr. Nilesh Dattatray Darawade
Orthopedist 11 yrs exp Mumbai
Any injury to legs causing swelling is very common. If there's no pain associated with it then there's no cause of worry. It takes some time for swelling to go away, depending on severity of injury sometimes months together. Reappearance of swelling on standing or walking is justified. If you are still worried about it, one can use crepe bandage on leg when standing to control swelling.