Severe Pain

My father has been diagnosed with Lumbar spondylosis.Diffuse disc bulge at L3-4 Level causing indentation of thecal sac and narrowing of bilateral lateral recess with no significant foraminal compromise.Degenerative Grade I anterolisthesis of L4 over L5 with pseudo diffuse disc bulge and posterocentral protrusion causing indentation of thecal sac and narrowing of bilateral lateral recess with mild compromise of bilateral neural foramina, indenting exiting L4 nerve roots.Associated facetal arthrosis is noted that further contributes towards secondary canal stenosis. Mild diffuse disc bulge at L5-S1 level effacing epidural fat with no significant foraminal compromise. He is in severe pain and loosing his appetite gradually. I am not sure where to take him and what should be course of treatment. Please suggest.

Doctor Answers (1) on Severe Pain

Dr. Hitin Mathur Noida | Orthopedist
Hi, this is Dr Mathur from Fortis C Doc Hospital, New Delhi. As far as your father's back pain is concerned is the pain only confined to the back or radiates down the legs as well? The MRI findings do suggest disc prolapse at certain levels, but that may not be the cause of his pain. The pain can arise either due to the spondylosis or due to osteoporosis. I will need to examine him and see the MRI films to find the cause of his pain. Some blood tests and bone density scans may also be needed in the course of his treatment.