Severe dementia

My grandfather is 86 & has been suffering from severe dementia. He has been very violent & has poor food intake. We had to shift him to a rehab in Pune to get him the right treatment. After 6 days of being in the rehab he got extremely weak & his bp dropped marginally so he was shifted to a hospital to get it to normal. Other than that he has hernia so has been complaining of severe stomach pain. He is almost bed ridden now & we want to shift him back to bombay where we live to an institution which provides medical treatment for his mental as well as physical health. The rehab is not appropriate to provide him with physical care as they are not equipped for it. So he will have to be shifted back & forth from rehab to the hospital every now & then making it difficult for him to deal with it. If you know of any place which provides thorough psychiatric care as well as would be capable of taking care of the other problems that he is facing with dementia. We are based in Chembur, Mumbai.
views-icons 40 Views Mail QnA Whatsapp QnA v

Like the answers? Chat privately for 24 hours with the doctor of your choice

doctor profile image
Dr. Kavita Sagarkar
Psychiatrist 21 yrs exp Mumbai
Hi, dementia is a debilitating disorder and as you rightly said your grandfather will require special Psychiatric as well as physical care. I am not aware of any rehab facility in Mumbai city. However specialized Psychiatric hospitals are there like Sunshine Wellness Centre in Andheri East and Clinique nursing home in 7 bungalows. You can check the numbers of these on the internet. However, these are Psychiatric hospitals and may be short term solutions only. It would be preferable and viable to have a male assistant or nurse round the clock at your home with a Doctor visiting him. In the meantime make sure that symptoms of violence are in control with appropriate medication and continue medication for Dementia and other physical problems. Hope this helps, All the Best!
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
1/1 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?