Sciatic pain

Hello, i have Sciatic pain from last one year. Initially i tried to ignore it, thinking that it might be a silly cramp, but lately the pain is sometimes unbearable. In between, I went to the gym for 4 months, I didn't have any pain that time. I was feeling fit, and thought that the problem has gone. I quit the gym and the pain has started again. It runs down right from my hip to the calves( in my right leg). I sometimes have severe back pain too. I am not able sit in a place for more than 15 mins. Being in the IT industry I have to sit and work for long hours. I want to fix this problem. I am confused either to visit a physiotherapist or an orthopedist. Can you advice?

Dr. Gireesh Kant Snehi (PT)
Physiotherapist 5 yrs exp Gurgaon

Agreed with Dr parag You new proper examination and proper muscle strengthening under guidance of expert.
Dr. Abhishek Gupta
Orthopedic Physiotherapist 13 yrs exp Ghaziabad

Hello, You are suffering with PIVD ( L S Spine ).It's a bulging of disc and cause Nerve compression.Go for investigation like X ray l.s spine , MRI and  Vit D3.Also take an advice from an orthopedist
Dr. Vishwas Virmani (PT)
Physiotherapist 20 yrs exp Noida

Short Arcs: Lie flat on your back or sit upright with your leg placed horizontally on a flat surface like a chair or bed. Place a rolled up towel under the knee. Pull your toes towards you and clench you thigh muscles. Slowly lift your foot up off the bed until your knee is straight (keep your knee resting on the towel). Hold for 3 secs and slowly lower them on the chair. Repeat 10 times twice a day. Standing calf stretch Stand away from a wall and.put your fight foot behind you and be sure your toes are facing forward. Lean forward at the ankle while bending the right knee and keeping your heel on the ground. Hold this for 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat 10 times a twice a day Piriformis Stretch 1. Lie on your back. ... 2. Cross your left leg over your right so that your left ankle rests on your right knee. 3. Use your hands to grab hold of your left knee and pull it gently toward the opposite shoulder. ... 4. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. 5. Relax, and then repeat with the other leg. 6. Repeat this cycle 2 to 4 times.
Dr. Ritesh Nazareth
Orthopedic Surgeon 14 yrs exp Mumbai

In these cases, u cannot get any opinion unless u have done basic examination by a specialist, few tests like xrays or Mri scan if necessary. Don't delay your treatment. Better to see a spine or orthopedic specialist.
Dr. Parag Patil
Orthopedic Surgeon 11 yrs exp Nagpur

You probably have a prolapse of the inter vertebral disc causing compression of the nerve to the right leg. please consult an orthopedic surgeon for evaluation and/or xrays/MRI if required. In the meantime, avoid bending forward and lifting heavy objects. Local hot water bag and topical painkiller gel 2-3 times a day may help to reduce the pain

Hello.. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician first and get yourself examined...we need to see if the symptoms you are facing is due to entrapment of the nerves in the spinal region....you may have to get done x Ray and MRI...after that we can decide if you require only physiotherapy or surgical procedure...thank you
Dr. Rohit Rathore
Orthopedic Physiotherapist 8 yrs exp Ghaziabad
You need to visit both orthopaedic as well as physiotherapist.Medication with proper extensor spinal exercise is required.