Right arm goes to sleep

Hi! Whenever I go to sleep with my right arm placed above my head I wake up in the mid of the night with slight sensation near the arm joint and find it difficult to move my arm. It feels as if my right has gone to sleep. With my left arm I move it or I roll towards the right and after sometime it returns back to normal. Is it harmful to my body? This never happens to my left arm. Also this happens only if I am using a pillow and place my right arm above my head. Please mention what precautions should I talk or should I visit a doctor! Thanks!

Dr. D Giridhar Balaji (PT)
Clinical Physiotherapist 6 yrs exp Hyderabad

This could be an early onset of cervical spondylitis... plz visit for propèr investigation and management..
Dr. Anuradha Sharma (PT)
Clinical Physiotherapist 9 yrs exp Noida
Do strength exercise only but start in gradually process
Dr. Sonia Talreja Dhawan (P.T)
Physiotherapist 9 yrs exp Delhi
Firstly stop placing your arms above your head, next stop using the pillow... Tingling and numbness or the sleeping sensation occurs when there is nerve compression.... When you sleep in a position where the nerve gets compressed easily you experience such feeling..... Try changing the position.... If it still exists then this nerve compression may be originating from cervical spine...