Red Eye Conjustivitis

I got Eye conjunctivitis. The doctor told I have Viral conjunctivitis but gave Zylopred eye drops. Is this correct. Online literature says Zylopred has bacterial inhibitors. On second day of taking this eye drop my eyes are getting lot more red than earlier (before drops) and bigger concern is the moment I put drops I get tremendous pain in the eye (as if someone poking needle in the eye). Kindly help. The eye doctor does not answer unless I ask a question. Now I have to first know a question before getting answer from the doctor. I got this infection from my daughter, who was conveniently given wrong diagnosis as eye allergy for doctor in another hospital. Because of allergy diagnosis we were not careful in keeping her things separate and how whole family is caught up in this infection. Another concerning info.......my 7 year old daughter got this infection from her friend, who was given the same wrong allergy diagnosis. His extended family of 4+4+3 is also suffering.

Doctor Answers (3) on Red Eye Conjustivitis

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal Sangrur | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hello 1. Viral conjunctivitis... Has its own course...it will increase in first few days (4-5days) and it resolves in 2 weeks period. 2. Your treatment is correct as zylopred has antibiotic and steroid.. Antibiotic is given to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Usually we give soft steroid (fluorometholone) to decrease patient symptoms and it also helps in patients with corneal involvement. 3. Maintain lid hygiene 4./Use two handkerchief.. One for each eye 5. Wait for few more days and it will resolve I hope this will help you Please feel free to ask any other query
Dr. Nandini Chandak Kolkata | Cataract and Refractive Surgeon
Maintain eye hygiene is most important. Antibiotic eyedrop help in prophylaxis in viral conjunctivitis to take care of any super added infection. Viral conjunctivitis has a course of flaring up for 5-7 days after which it starts resolving just like common cold. Not rubbing eyes and using ice compress helps relieve the pain.
Dr. Rajen Mehta Rajkot | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Okay now you need to stop Zylopred eye drops. Start plain antibiotic eye drops in the form of Moxifloxacin (Any brand eg Vigamox or Milflox , etc) around 6 times in the day. Also you need to instill Neosporin EYE ointment twice a day. Wear dark glasses. Keep personal hygiene in the sense keep your towel, handkerchief, etc separate so that no other person can use it. It will take about a week for complete resolution. In between if you ever experience blurring of vision then immediately consult a good ophthalmologist.