R/H CORE DECOMPRESSION

Suffering from SLE last 2years, on feb 19th,2016 core decompression operation done at Right hip. Now getting sever pain at Right hip. Unable to walk. is there essential for ball replacement or curable with medicine. Plz suggest

Doctor Answers (1) on R/H CORE DECOMPRESSION

I assume that code Decompression for the right hip was done due to AVN of the hip. AVN may have occurred due to steroids or other medicines used to treat SLE. Now you are having pain because the head would have collapsed, meaning it has lost its round shape. In such a situation medicines cannot help bring the hip to normal. The only way to get relieved of pain is to have hip replacement done. However, a newer type of hip replacement is available these days that works wonderfully in young patients like yourself. There is no restriction on movements as the hip is very stable unlike the old type of replacement surgery. There is hardly any wear in the joint and it is likely to last many years. The youngest patient in whom I have done this kind of surgery is 17 years old. She has had both her hips done and she's doing extremely well. I tell all my patients not to suffer in pain when such joints are available these days. You need a pain free stable joint when you are young and not when you are old. But the decision to undergo surgery is on yourself. At the moment I would suggest that you get an xray of both the hips done and mail it to me. I can help you decide if surgery is required and if so, whether you are the right candidate for it.