Pulsatile tinnitus

I can hear the whooshing sound in my right ear synchronous to my heart beat. I've been bothered by this for last 3 years. And now it has got to a level of annoyance and destraction. I also have hypertension since last 3 years. Systolic in 140s and diastolic in 90s.

Doctor Answers (1) on Pulsatile tinnitus

Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
hello,Pulsatile tinnitus is usually due to a small blood vessel that is coupled by fluid to your ear drum. It is usually nothing serious and also untreatable. Rarely pulsatile tinnitus can be caused by more serious problems -- aneurysms, increased pressure in the head (hydrocephalus), and hardening of the arteries. Inner ear disorders that increase hearing sensitivity can cause pulsatile tinnitus.There are some very large blood vessels -- the carotid artery and the jugular vein -- that are very close to the inner ear . Noise in those blood vessels can be conducted into the inner ear. Anything that increases blood flow or turbulence such as hyperthyroidism, low blood viscosity (e.g. anemia), or tortuous blood vessels may cause pulsatile tinnitus, if high blood pressure is only cause for this , then it will be controlled by controlling hypertension. visit ENT specialist to rule out the cause.