Pulsatile tinnitus

I have pulsatile tinnitus since last 4 years. I hear my rhythmic heart beat all the time. However the sound minimizes on pressing the left carotid artery. I had a color Doppler,ECG and Echocardiography done but the report is normal. I am very much disturbed due to my ailment.

Doctor Answers (1) on Pulsatile tinnitus

Venkat Raghav Bangalore | General Physician
Hello, Pulsatile tinnitus is the type of ear noise that is perceived as a rhythmic pulsing that is often in time with the heartbeat. It is important to investigate all instances of pulsatile tinnitus. In some cases, a serious underlying condition could exist. Newer imaging techniques, such as Magnetic Resonance Angiography and Carotid Artery Ultrasonography, have been employed that help determine the site of the problem in the majority of pulsatile tinnitus cases. The cure rates for pulsatile tinnitus are quite high once the problem area has been identified.Consult ENT specialist.