Protein Intake

Hi, I am doing strength training from couple of years.As now i am doing heavy lifting it requires lot of protein for muscles . I am taking 8 eggs(EGG WHITES) per day+1 scoop of whey protein. My height is 6.1 and weight is 80. I would like to know is it fine to eat 8 egg whites in a day?

Ms. Luana Mascarenhas
Dietitian/Nutritionist 3 yrs exp Bangalore
Hi, it depends on whether you are taking 8 eggs and the whey at the same time or not. If you are then you are overloading your kidneys and you risk damaging them. It also depends on what your protein intake through other meals in the day is. You should try not to cross 2g/kg Body weight i.e. 160 g of protein in a say through any source (meat, dairy, pulses, lentils, nuts etc.) This 160 g should be well distributed in the day to ensure you do not overload your kidney with more than 30 g of protein at 1 point of time.