diabetes-icon

Pre diabetic- medicine

Hello, my wife has been diagnosed with prediabetic condition (fasting sugar 110) during our recent preventive health checkup. We got opinion from both our family doctor (general physician) who suggested physical activity & diet control is sufficient, whereas a diabetic specialist prescribed a medicine (Gluconorm SR) for 3 months. My wife being repulsive towards taking any medicine prefer just to follow our family doctor's recommendation. I'm not sure whether to let her do as she wish or to convince her to also take the medicine. Please help to clarify. Thanks in advance. P.S. She is also diagnosed for hypersensitive close to a year back and since then she continuously taking stamlo 5mg and she hates it as well.

Dr. Sheetal Aversekar
Diabetologist 8 yrs exp Mumbai

It depends a lot on her post food sugar level and hba1c levels. Also, whether to treat or not in the prediabetic stage depends a lot on the doctor's estimation of the persons risk. If the person is overweight, has blood relatives with diabetes and especially diabetic complications, or if she has hypertension, high cholesterol etc. , the doctor may prefer to start medicines even in the prediabetic stage.