Pilonidal sinus

I had the pilonidal cyst surgery lately. It's been a month. I don't want it to recur, I asked the doctor whether I need to get the butt area free of hair. He said no just keep it clean and after taking shower dry it and then wear clothes. I do the same but I'm not convinced. I'm quite hairy down there. I was thinking of laser hair removal. Should I go for it?

Doctor Answers (1) on Pilonidal sinus

Thanks for the query. Laser hair removal is a good option and is relatively painless. There are some topical medications as well but it's temporary solution and needs to be performed regularly. Since the cause of pilonidal sinus is the excessive hair in the area that breaks and gets embedded into the skin, recurrences are always possible. One must understand it requires multiple sessions,may he 6 or more to achieve a desired result. Each session can be performed at gap of 1-2 months depending on rate of hair growth. Maintenance laser session like once every year may then be needed. Charges vary depending on laser machine used and should be around 4000 for a single session . Hope it helps Dr MK Agarwala