Oral lichen planus

I have white spots on my lips and mouth for more than 6 years, some times burning and itching occurs and it is spreading. Some times mouth ulcers are arising. I consulted allopathic doctors, they said it is oral lichen planus. What's it actually and what's the reason for the disease? Was there any danger? What treatment I want to take? And is it curable? Is it a symptom of oral cancer?

Doctor Answers (4) on Oral lichen planus

Dr. Puja Bansal Pune | Dentist
hello, you need to consult an oral surgeon.
LP is an precancerous condition caused do to the autoimmune reaction towards component of BM (skin/oral mucous membrane).  It can be diagnosed by sign and symptoms, typical clinical appearance, biopsy for confirmation required because many oral lesions presents similar clinical picture.
Consult a oral pathologist.
Lichen planus is autoimmune disorder which can be symptomatically treated to some extent.visit nearby dentist for clinical examination and subsequent treatment plan.
Dr. Govindaraj.S.J Bangalore | Dental Surgeon
Oral lichen planus is considered an autoimmune condition and is bound to cause intermittent episodes of flare ups. I have written an an article on Practo HealthFeed on auto immunity, you can read the same. Reason why is still a big question? It's not completely curable, but there could be dietary components, diet which could trigger it so be watchful. It's definitely not a symptom of cancer. You can seek alternative medicine therapy like Ayurveda or homeopathy which are found to be promising in the recent years.