OCD and depression

My cousin who is 30 seems to suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder. He has unexplained fears and at times keeps on repeating the same activity. He has also developed an affinity to odd numbers. For instance he counts the number of words in each line and makes sure that the count is odd, counts the number of tiles while walking. It seems he had such problems from childhood. But it seems he is able to control his behavior to an extent these days. Do we need to take him to a doctor ? Will he need to take medicines or will a counselling help? Will he go into depression if this condition is not treated ?

Doctor Answers (8) on OCD and depression

Dr. Antara Gupta Aligarh | Psychiatrist
You have explained it wonderfully.. it indeed is OCD.  And at this stage medicines are very much needed .Ocd is a disorder with waxing and waning course. It may be dubious at times. You may also need to visit a clinical psychologist . If he has insight into his illness then yes, he might have depression in the long run.
Dr. Sonia Malhotra Pune | Psychiatrist
Dear sir,
It is great to see your concern for your brother's condition. It is indeed distressing what he is going through.
By the description given by you, it is most likely a disorder on the lines of obsessions and compulsions. However, there are many questions that remaim unanswered by this description.
The good news is that OCD is a treatable and controllable condition by judicious use of medicines and psychotherapy.
The not-so-good news is that untreated OCD can lead to havoc and can lead to depression and anxiety and also a more severe psychosis.
Since the treatment is tailor-made for each patient, he shall need a detailed evaluation and treatment planning by a psychiatrist.
Pls feel free to contact me for a private consultation in Pune.
Regards!
Jankhana Hakani Mumbai | Psychiatrist
was there a stressor before this worsened? also he will need treament from a psychiatrist . he will be benefitted from both medications and counseling done together.
Dr. Kavita Sagarkar Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hi, if left untreated OCD may result in Depression.
But more than that, left untreated, it will cause loss of confidence in the person and possible relationship difficulties and inability to function to the full extent capable. Here is a young individual in his prime who has Obsessive thoughts and rituals. A lot of time and energy gets wasted in these seemingly harmless bit entirely useless compulsions. Look at it this way, if he gets treatment for OCD he can live a fully functional and happy life free of the disorder .
You need to see a Psychiatrist  who can then decide on the course of action. Most likely he will require medication, however follow it up with Cognitive Behaviour therapy and counseling for better and long lasting  results .
Hope this helps, All the Best!
hi, i suggest you should take him to a psychiatrist and get his evaluation done. Also seek a psychologist in your area and seek cognitive behavior therapy for this obsessive thoughts and fears. take care
Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
I feel it all started as you stated I  childhood,  because during those days out of  uriosity children normally play those kind of activities.
I believe some where  he started liking it for his own reasons and became a habit or other obsession  now.

If it is not affecting him in his daily routine  you need not worry about. Apparently,  as it is affecting him and his people around, it has to be taken care and corrected.
Do consult a Psychologist and understand it better to resolve it.
I

Dr. Ananthi Ragupathy Chennai | Psychotherapist
Diet and lifestyle changes cure any kind of depression .
Dr. Mohit Shah Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Untreated OCD can lead to depression, he definitely requires consultation by psychiatrist, depending on severity of problems one can decide whether he needs counselling, medication or both