Ligament tear

Ive got an acl tear. I wanted to try physio therapy b4 surgery. What are the problems ill face if i delay surgery. Is there a chance of artritis. Will my knee joint degrade if i dont do surgery at all. Will the acl tear heal itself

Dr. Madhusudhan.H.R
Orthopedist 9 yrs exp Mysore

You are 27 if you want to have active lifestyle like running hiking etc then acl surgery must but you consider averse to sports then continue knee exercises physio can be tried it's just symtomatic. If you dont do surgery the affected knee will develop osteoarthritis ealier than that of opposite knee when older considering you have only acl and meniscus is notmal. Many people don't get surgery done then they have do life style modification avoiding sports completely.
Dr. Rajat Jangir
Orthopedist 7 yrs exp Jaipur
ACL TEAR DO NOT HEAL. Surgery for ACL will depend upon clinical symptomatic instability....that is feel of giving way of joint and Instability on clinical examination by ARTHROSCOPY specialist. If if you have instability joint is going to degenerate and develop arthritis. You must not delay the procedure. I hope this is helpful. Regards
Dr. Vikas Ellur
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon 9 yrs exp Bangalore
No acl will not heal by itself. It has to be reconstructed. You may try physio before surgery.