Knee injury

I am suffering from isolated ligament (pcl) injury. Doing regular exercises for quard from two years. I can feel some laxity and knee buckling if exercises are skipped for a day or two. Ligament is intact but loosely attached. I am in constant pain each and everyday. Nothing is effective. Pain and stiffness is there when i start to walk. Muscles gets tighter after some time and pain becomes less. As soon as i rest and start a walk again i feel stiffness . Upper bone pressing on lower one and joint pain kind of felling is there all the time. Will it ever heal?? Should i do a complete bed rest for a month !? How to minimze the pain!? I am not looking forward for surgery. I can do all possible exercises for it. Please suggest..thankyou

Doctor Answers (8) on Knee injury

Pankaj Agrawal Ahmedabad | Orthopedic Surgeon
Get a fresh mri done..you might hv injured cartilage also due to lax knee .need to undergo surgery.regards dr pankaj agrawal.shoulder knee and joints surgeon ahmedabad
Dr. Anuradha Sharma Noida | Orthopedic Physiotherapist
Do laser therapy and ultrasonic therapy with exercise
Dr. Saseendar Chennai | Sports Medicine Surgeon
You have a detached PCL that had not healed and is clearly giving instability from non healing. You are likely to injure yourself more and more. You could have caused yourself damage to the Cartilage and meniscus.
You need intervention with key hole surgery wherein the PCL is reconstructed to give you a stable joint. The meniscus if affected can be addressed in the same procedure.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Dr Saseendar,
Arthroscopy and Sports Surgeon,
Chennai
Do not continue with your exercises
Consult an Arthroscopy Surgeon
Dr. Vishwas Virmani Noida | Physiotherapist
Avoid sitting Cross legged. Avoid Squatting- Quadriceps Exercises- Lie straight, make a towel role and put it under the knee, press the keen against the role, hold it for 20 secs. Repeat 20 times twice a day. This will help relieve some pain. Core Strengthening Exercise- Straight Leg Raised With Toes Turned Outward, repeat 10 times, twice a day. Hams Stretching- lie straight, take the leg up, pull the feet towards yourself, with a elastic tube or normal belt. repeat 10 times, twice a day. Sports Taping- stretch the tape from both ends and apply on the affected area Contrast Fomentation (Hot and Cold).
Dr. Ritesh Nazareth Mumbai | Orthopedic Surgeon
Pray to God. Expect miracles. Nothing else. A 2yr old pcl tear will never heal, u can realise it's getting worse. Come out of your inhibitions, consult a good sports surgeon, get counselled and go ahead for a pcl reconstruction.
If anyone suggests more excercises, ask them specifically an assurance if you will get OK!! U won't.
Don't look out for more opinions or miracles. In waiting for 2years, u may have already damaged your knee to some extent.
See a sports surgeon.
Go ahead with arthroscopic reconstruction of your PCL ligament. However get yourself clinically examined to check if it is only a PCL Injury or there is something more also.
Dr. J. P. Singh Delhi | Orthopedist
Your symptoms very clearly suggests that you have a lax and non functioning pcl. Continuing with a lax pcl is likely to cause early arthritis of the knee. So I will suggest you to undergo pcl reconstruction. You can get symptoms better probably by doing exercise under physiotherapy guidance, but it will not take care of the cause of symptoms, rather just treat pain
Dr. Nataraj H M Bangalore | Orthopedist
PCL heals in some patients but if it has not healed in 2yrs then it won't heal anymore..  Knee exercise is temporary treatment but it can't restore the biomechanics of normal knee.. Best option is arthroscopic PCL reconstruction.. it's a safe surgery and has good outcome..till then u can continue ur exercises..
Dr. Chirag Dalal Mumbai | Orthopedist
Surgery is not utmost needed if laxity Is not there. But you are feeling laxity. Best option would be to undergo surgery.
Consult a good arthroscopist.