Knee hurting treadmill
I've been running on the treadmill for 3-4 years now. Play a lot of badminton as well as basketball sometimes. Went for a 10k on the treadmill and my left knee started hurting. Been a couple weeks now, but no improvement really. I wanna get back to running. Do I need a knee cap? No tread mill? Glucose amins? Kindly advise. Thanks! Appreciate it.

Dr. Karthic Babu Natarajan
Spine And Pain Specialist 15 yrs exp Chennai

Hi. We need to evaluate you. It actually sounds like menisceal or ligament injury in the knee. It a good idea to go for a X-ray / MRI of the knee and decide accordingly. Once the cause of the injury is found, treating becomes easier. Consult a pain physician or a orthopedician. Good luck.
Dr. Vijay Patil
Hand Surgeon 18 yrs exp Mumbai
Running on artificial environment like treadmill has its own inherent downsides and knee pain is one such issue. The mechanics of running on ground in which the muscles are propelling the body forward, is subtly different than the hard surface and static position of the body. If the pain is bothering you, I'd advice staying off the treadmill for the time being, and if can tolerate, do plenty of stretching and strengthening exercises. I am a long distance runner myself and use treadmill only once in a while and spend more on running in the open.