Kidney Stones
I have stone in both the Kidney...In left Kidney it is of size 6 mm and in right there are two stones of size 3 mm each. .Often I have unbearable pain in lower abdomen on either side...Whenever pain occurs it stays for 3-4 days and I need to take Voveron Injection for relief even the tablets are not working.... Kindly help me out whether it needs to be operated or it will pass with urine with certain medicine...Kindly suggest best doctors in Kolkata for consultation or operation

Dr. Amod Dwivedi
Urologist 17 yrs exp Kanpur

Stone causes pain when they obstruct urinary tract during there journey from kidney to bladder. They need surgery when possibility of their spontaneous expulsion is low inveiw of large size or pain is not controlled by medicines. As you have stone on both side and have recurrent pain , you need investigation to look for causes of stone formation.
Dr. Navya G
Hi there.. I can understand your concern.. kidney stones are very common in summer due to dehydration.. there are many types of it like calcium oxalate, calcium phosphate, uric acid, struvite, cystine, xanthine stones.. each has its own cause.. symptoms include pain abdomen in flanks, vomiting, nausea, fever, blood in urine.. treatment depends on size , site and type of stone.. usually less than 5mm stones pass off by having lots of fluids and medicines.. but if it's more than 5mm then it may or not pass and needs surgery for removal like extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) , laser lithotripsy, percutaneous nephrolithotomy.. for pain Nsaids can be used.. prevention of stones include have more fluids, atleast 2-3litres of water per day, have moderate calcium, reduce phosphate rich foods, avoidance of large doses of supplemental vitamin C and restriction of oxalate-rich foods such as leaf vegetables, rhubarb, soy products and chocolate..