AM diagnosed for kidney stone (8mm) 3 years ago during routine checkup. I havent acted on it later. As such am not facing any problem knowingly. Can I ignore it and take action when called for? Will it create any complications if I do that? Please suggest
Like the answers? Chat privately for 24 hours with the doctor of your choice
Hi there.. I can understand your concern.. kidney stones are very common in summer due to dehydration.. there are many types of it like calcium oxalate, calcium phosphate, uric acid, struvite, cystine, xanthine stones.. each has its own cause.. symptoms include pain abdomen in flanks, vomiting, nausea, fever, blood in urine.. treatment depends on size , site and type of stone.. usually less than 5mm stones pass off by having lots of fluids and medicines.. but if it's more than 5mm then it may or not pass and needs surgery for removal like extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) , laser lithotripsy, percutaneous nephrolithotomy.. for pain Nsaids can be used.. prevention of stones include have more fluids, atleast 2-3litres of water per day, have moderate calcium, reduce phosphate rich foods, avoidance of large doses of supplemental vitamin C and restriction of oxalate-rich foods such as leaf vegetables, rhubarb, soy products and chocolate.. if your not having any pain now then nothing to worry..get usg done once now to see whether stone is still there or not.. of there then next step depends on size and site of it..