Hamstrings on stomach

While I do crunches or any ab exercise I feel like my muscles is being pulled inside...and I take rest for 15 minutes then it's fine...only problem during ab workout...whom to concern a physio doctor or gastroenterology. Please do reply. Thank you

Dr. Tiji Mathew Thomas (PT)
Physiotherapist 17 yrs exp Ernakulam

It's termed as muscle spasm. What the person feels is a twitch usually described as muscle cramp. It occurs when a person starts doing exercises in ranges where he's not used to or a person who has a sedentary lifestyle starts doing strenuous activity without warm-ups. Every muscle has an outer, middle and inner range of movement. So begin with the outer range (starting range of crunches) and slowly progress to middle and inner ranges. Counter stretching or relaxing usually releives the spasm. Mineral sports drinks is also recommended for active persons who experiences spasm. As it's a purely muscular condition you can consult with a physiotherapist.