Habit of chewing

My husband has this habbit of constantly chewing something. It started with pan masala then chewing gum and now he constantly chews on betel nut packets. He chews around 10-15 packets a day. I want to know of its a harmful habit health wise and how can I help control this?

Dr. J.Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neurosurgeon 17 yrs exp Chennai

Betel nuts, pan, tobacco products can cause cancer So, we need to do something To start with, I suggest you convince him to chew bubble gum which is the lesser evil and For deaddiction, consult a psychiatrist

Hello, We understand your concern towards your husband's health. Since you have told us that your husband chew tobacco, pan Masala, betel nuts. Well there some advantages and more of disadvantages. If he keeps in chewing them he is at risk of restriction of his mouth movement, he is prone to oral neoplasm and there is chance of failure if his taste buds too. He cam choose an alternative I've betel nuts such as chewing gums. Because hey are better option till now. Thank you