diabetes-icon

Gestational Diabetes

I am 32 week's pregnant and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Right now I am takin 35units of humalog mix 50 3 times a day. It makes it 105 units everyday. Is this too much of insulin ? What is the normal sugar range for gestational diabetes?

Doctor Answers (2) on Gestational Diabetes

Dr. Nikhil Prabhu Mumbai | Diabetologist
Humalog mix 25/75 is a 12 hour insulin and should be taken twice daily. Normally in gestational diabetes sugar increases in last trimester due to resistance to insulin by placetal lactogen. You need to monitor your sugars by SMBG charting if you are in third trimester. According to dipsi standards 2 hrs post meal cut offs are 120 mg/dl . Fasting should be below 90 mg/dl. In Gestational diabetes tighter sugar control is necessary. It is advisable to take plain Humalog (lispro) 3 times premeals for optimal control. It has short action of 4 hrs. And controls post prandial sugars well. If you have high fasting values then basal insulin may also required
Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi, A blood sugar level below 130 to 140 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or 7.2 to 7.8 millimoles per liter (mmol/L), is usually considered normal on a glucose challenge test, although this may vary by clinic or lab... It's essential to monitor and control your blood sugar to keep your baby healthy and avoid complications during pregnancy and delivery. You'll also want to keep a close eye on your future blood sugar levels. .. An important part of your treatment plan is close observation of your baby. Your doctor may monitor your baby's growth and development with repeated ultrasounds or other tests. ...