Fever with severe headach

My brother is suffering from fever from last 16 days. Initially we did not take it seriously and use PCM to subside it. But from last 8 days its going beyond control. Temperature is almost touching 104.8 and severe headache is going on. We have gone through the blood test in which malaria parasite and malaria antigen is negative. But widal test shows its positive and it is 1:320 in Typhi O . ultrasound of whole abdomen is also fine. There is no symptoms of TB at all. From last 3 days he is admitted and monocef 2gm twice in a day is going on with other antibiotics is going on But no sight of relief is coming as its continued to be above 103 degree. Kindly help

Hello there. I can understand your concern but the problem has been done from your side itself. Why would you wait for so long? And were the tests suggested by some doctor or you got it done on your own. It's good that you have admitted now, if you would have taken treatment in the beginning itself you wouldn't have had to worry about the hospitalisation and the hospital charges and the patient also would have recovered soon. Since its been so long, the recovery will also be slow however the treatment is going right. Keep him admitted as long as the doctor says. Best regards. Dr. Anil Kumar Jain.
Dr. J.Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Neurosurgeon 17 yrs exp Chennai

Please consult a Neurosurgeon in person immediately
Dr. Harsha
Hi there...I can understand your concern for your brothers help. Firstly it is good that you have admitted him in a hospital. Fever with such high temperatures and for long duration, definitely requires admission. Sometimes fever can persist for a few weeks in spite of the antibiotics. The antibiotics mainly prevent any secondary acquired infections. If you are still not satisfied with the treatment you are receiving in the hospital, you can ask them for a summary of the investigations done and treatment given, and ask for a second opinion from another general physician you trust.