Eye strain

Hi, I have farsightedness of 4.25 right and 5.00left eye. I opted for lasic surgery, but doctor suggested PRK surgery suits me as my left corneal layer thickness is less to opt the lasic. I heard tat PRK is so painful and takes much time to be well, is their any other best suggestion ?? Is surgery only solution to cure my eyesight?? I am preparing for competitive exams, while studying I get eyestrain too much in less time, so cud nt focus n getting Distracted.plzz suggest me to overcome this prblm

Doctor Answers (3) on Eye strain

Dr. Deepa Naik Ghaziabad | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hi,PRK is procedure of choice for people with thin corneas. It's comparatively painful than LASIK but pain can be eased by taking painkillers and recovery takes place within a week.  You can take breaks between your study time to give rest to your eyes and use artificial tear drops like refresh or genteal frequently.
Dr. Vaibhev Mittal Sangrur | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
Hello
1. In people with thin cornea,PRK is the only option
2. It is not painful but yes patient feels irritation in initial 24-48 hrs.
3. Recovery takes less than a week

4. For eye strain,that is due to dryness..try
A. Cold compresses
B
Blink a lot
C. Use lubricating eyedrop frequently

Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. I can understand your concern. PRK short for photo refractive keratectomy is a laser assisted procedure which is widely used for correction of vision so that a person doesnt have to be dependant on glasses or contact lenses. The pain is there with lasik also but it is less when compared to PRK. And with medicines the PAIN can be controlled. You can go ahead with the surgery. Everything will be fine. Or take a second opinion from a different ophthqlmologist. Alternatives for surgery are : Wearing glasses or contact lenses. Talk to your ophthalmologist for further evaluation and management. Best regards. Dr. Anil kumar jain.