Excess of sleep

Hello, i have been having problem regarding sleep. Falling asleep takes too long for me and i am sleeping 10-11 hours a day for a long while. i lack concentration and energy as well. i experience pain in my back everyday and frequent headaches and diturbed bowel movements though i am eating too much. i am not a happy person at all and my sleep patterns are creating problems in my academic life and i think i am just thinking too much and might go into depression. i have tried meditating, but i cant sit even for 5 minutes. please if there is any way to solve this issue.

Doctor Answers (1) on Excess of sleep

Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
Your complaints of sleep and appetite disturbances, lethargy, backaches, headaches may well be a part of psychiatric disorders, howsoever you first need to get evaluated for medical problems like anemia, thyroid disorders , osteoporosis etc. Which may present with similar complaints. Kindly visit a physician for a thorough evaluation. If there is no medical cause, then kindly consult a psychiatrist as soon as possible for appropriate management. Taking sleeping pills by self can do more harm than good. In the meanwhile, practice sleep hygiene techniques ( available on the net), try going for a 15 min walk daily and do some pranaayam. Eat fibre as in fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water to stabilize your bowel habits and involve yourself with friends and family. I hope this helps but kindly seek medical help as soon as possible.