ENT - Septoplasty

I have perforated eardrums. As per doc's advice, i had CT scan for nose and ears. Now, my doctor advised me to go for Septoplasty, turbinectomy & FESS. I do not have any breathing complaints nor the sinus complaints. But he was saying that deviated Septum caused the holes and it's mandatory. Is the surgery mandatory?

Doctor Answers (1) on ENT - Septoplasty

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil Bangalore | ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist
congratulations! you have selected a sensible doctor! Your doctor is correct. The root cause of all your problems is in your nose. The infection has migrated from nasal sinuses to nose to throat & via eustachian tubes entered middle ear. As the pus built up in middle ear it ruptured eardrum and discharged out of ear. The deviated nasal septum and other anatomical variations resulted in the nasal discharge going backwards to throat instead of the normal discharging from nostrils. With a Septoturbinoplasty & FESS, you doctor is attempting to repair the main problem. After this you will need intranasal spray medication to heal the sinus disease and the ears will stop discharging. Only when the ear has been dry for a continuous 3 months should you undergo the ear surgery - Cortical Mastoidotympanoplasty. Please give my regards to your ENT Surgeon and wish you both a very successful surgery and healing.