Ear drum rupture

I have a medium sized hole in my ear drum. My doctor prescribed me some antiboitics . Now Please tell me , how many days it will take to rebuilt the ear drum as like before.

Doctor Answers (3) on Ear drum rupture

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil Bangalore | ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist
I assume by doctor you are meaning an ENT Specialist. If not please use this app to find one immediately and meet him/her asap. The primary reason for your eardrum perforation is a nose/ paranasal sinus infection spreading backwards to throat and thereon to the eustachian tubes and into the middle ear. Pus which collects here enters the mastoids(bone behind ear) and then when there is no more room there, stretches the eardrum outwards till it finally ruptures and the pus leaks outside the ear leaving behind a eardrum perforation. You doctor's primary job is to treat the nose and sinus infection with antibiotics, nasal decongestants, medicated gargles. Once the primary infection has healed, the middle ear and mastoids will also be rid of the infection and the small perforation will close up within 2 weeks. If the perforation has not closed even after one month of ear being dry, the ENT Surgeon should freshen the edges of the perforation by either chemical cautery or LASER to provoke the ear to heal. IN THE INTERIM, THE PATIENT MUST WATERPROOF HIS EAR USING SILICONE EARPLUGS WHILE BATHING OR TRAVELLING! If even a drop of water enters the middle ear through the perforation, there is a high risk of external germs also causing secondary infection causing the ear drum perforation to enlarge, thereby requiring afull-fledged tympanoplasty surgery!
use this app to search for a good ENT Specialist in your neighbourhood( if your present doctor is not an ENT Specialist) and fix up an instant appointment
Dr. Parveen Chawla Faridabad | Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) Specialist
dear its very tricky to say that not in every case it heals , just get it checked whether the perforation is circular or linear as circular perforation are poor healers , get it repaired as early as possible without stitches
contact us at https://www.facebook.com/arunaenthnhospital/?ref=bookmarks for any queries
Dr. Pinaki Mazumder Kolkata | Otologist/ Neurotologist
Medium to large sized tympanic membrane perforations donot close with antibiotics or any other medicines, it should be closed surgically, the operation is known as tympanoplasty. Please consult a good ENT surgeon and get the operation done.