diabetes-icon

Diabetics Care

I am diabetic for past 7 years . I am married now and undergone a miscarriage.Now planning for a kid my HBA1C is 6 now . What are things that I need to take care before planning ?

Dr. Sheetal Aversekar
Diabetologist 8 yrs exp Mumbai

Hello there. That is a very good control of blood sugar that you have achieved and is ideal for planning conception. If your diabetes wasnt controlled well the previous time,there is a good chance that the miscarriage was a result of that. Not all pills for diabetes are allowed in pregnancy and insulin is usually required in case you are a diabetic before pregnancy. Hence, your doctor might start you on small doses of insulin in advance. If you are taking medicines for blood pressure, they will have to be re evaluated. Also, eye, kidney, cholesterol and thyroid checkup will be mandatory. You have to continue your routine dietary modifications and exercise which I am sure you have been following religiously. Apart from this, your gynecologist will start you on the routine folic acid (vitamin ) supplements. Wish you a safe pregnancy in advance!