Depression & anxiety

I am suffering from some kind of long-term persistent depression and generalised anxiety disorder wherein I constantly feel stressed and on edge for some reason or the other. I am in therapy and trying meditation and yoga but it isn't translating into making me more high-functioning. My work and concentration/attention patterns are suffering. Is there any mild OTC medication I could take to offset the worst of the symptoms?

Doctor Answers (3) on Depression & anxiety

Ms. Hema Sampath Bangalore | Clinical Psychologist
Stop yoga and enroll yourself in ZUMBA or Aerobics to boost your morale first.
Dr. Sugandha Gupta Delhi | Psychiatrist
There are no OTC antidepressants, if you do get any from a chemist, do know that they are going to do more harm than good if taken unsupervised. If you feel the need for medications, consult a psychiatrist for the same. Prescription of antidepressants is a scientifically based decision derived from a host of patient, illness and other related factors. Medications will not just help you tide over the worst symptoms but also help you engage more effectively in therapy and improve overall prognosis of your illness. Kindly seek a psychiatric consultation at the earliest. Good luck.
Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hello my friend...just remember "Broken heart and shattered dreams are key mentors for weaving a glorious destiny."...Consult nearest psychiatrist as you require detailed counseling session and you may require medications to solve your problems as many things can't be discussed in forum like this...With that fallow relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation,avoid alcohol, smoking, coffee, tea...have good sleep and develop healthy food habits..good luck