Controlling hair fall

I have been using Minoxodil 5% for controlling hair fall for 5 months. I heard, hair fall will start again when we stop using it. Do we have to continuously use it for total life time if we don't want to face hair fall.?? Could you please clarify my doubt.

Doctor Answers (1) on Controlling hair fall

Thanks for the query. As per US-FDA minoxidil is recommended for indefinite usage if you are fitting into the criteria of male pattern baldness and experiencing no side effects. MInoxidil is very safe for long term usage and becomes a ritual. You can try it for a a year and if you feel, it is making a difference you can decide on continuation. It doesn't accelerate the rate of hair fall after stoppage but simply switches off its role in maintaining the hairs which is sometimes appreciated as increasing hair fall after stopping minoxidil. If you are planning to continue minoxidil,the strength, dose and frequency of application is important