Hair fall since 3 months

I've been having a lot of hair fall last 3 months and I can't seem to explain why it's happening. I saw a doctor a month back who gave me a Minoxidil-Aminexil solution to be applied twice a day, Follihair vitamin supplements and he asked me to wash my hair with the water we drink. I've been doing all of that for the past one month but it hasn't helped. I'm not sure what to do now. I had some stressful event in my life 2 months back. I have a suspicion it's iron deficiency as I do feel tired more than normal. May I know how to go about fixing this?

Doctor Answers (2) on Hair fall since 3 months

Dr.VENU KUMARI Hyderabad | Trichologist
Hair loss, now-a-days, is common among males and females of all age groups. We all lose some hair strands everyday, however, some people lose more than normal strands in a day that can cause severe hair loss. Hair loss is mostly genetic, so if hair loss runs in your family, you are most likely to suffer from hair loss too. Hair loss happens either in clumps, that is overall hair loss, or focussed on any one part of head - especially the crown. While genetics play a big role, some additional factors can aggravate hair loss - hormonal imbalance, Alopecia areata, stress, thyroid disease, anemia, protein deficiency, chemotherapy, and low vitamin levels may cause hair loss in you. Start by following a good diet - Eat adequate amount of protein. Your hair is made up mainly of proteins. Eat eggs, cottage cheese, chicken, soya, lentils, whole grains. Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B are other important nutrients for great hair health. So include lot of fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your daily diet. Exercise daily to keep yourself healthy inside out. Next important step is to follow good hair care - Oiling your hair with a mixture of oils like olive, sesame, coconut and castor oil keeps provides moisture to your hair and prevent them from drying and breakage. Once in a week apply a good hair mask. You can mix and prepare different types of masks using eggs, green tea, olive oil, milk, gooseberry, thyme, chamomile etc. Condition your hair using organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Rosemary tea once in awhile. A good dermatologist can successfully reduce hair fall by conducting some tests beforehand that includes blood tests, iron level, vitamin B, thyroid function tests and a biopsy of the scalp. Since some hair loss is temporary, your hair will grow back on its own without medical treatment. More serious hair loss can be treated with creams, oral drugs and surgery. Dermatologist can give your head a fuller appearance with the help of hair transplants and scalp reductions, which is successful both in males and females. To determine the best technique for your hair loss issue, consult a good dermatologist.
Hi! Minoxidil etc take 4 months to show effect. Your hair fall will stabilise in  months time. Do not panic and continue the medications. If you feel tired etc eat properly on time. You can get basic blood tests for the same and rectify the deficiency. Hope this helps.